Saturday, February 26, 2011

Happy New Beer

I can't believe I haven't posted in '11. Well here goes. My Black IPA didn't attentuate, it would've had like 2.5 percent ABV, which is just garbage. So I tossed it today. My belgian ale, By The Fire, is coming along really nicely. After a month and a half in the bottle it's still young but is delicious. The spice tincture I added has such a subtle undertone, it's just right. This one is, so far, the most to style beer I have brewed yet. It needs another month or so before it's ready and will only get better with age.

I brewed a Pale a week ago. Calling it Crazy Pale. It's a session beer for sure. Just 4.5% ABV. The sparge got stuck again. Even with a stuck sparge I got 68% efficiency. That bodes well for when Brewcraft actually crushes the grain right. My numbers will go up substantially. This one I transferred today and the hydrometer sample was really good. Not too dry and not too bitter. Seems like the balance is good on this one. I put a half ounce of Columbus hops into the secondary. We'll see, I may have just made it an IPA, but only time will tell.

I was having attentuation problems, meaning the final gravity was way too high which would have led to a beer way to sweet with not enough alcohol. I bought a brewbelt, which you wrap around the fermenter and plug in, and it puts out a warm 70 degree temperature so your beer ferments better. It worked great. I got 70% apparent attentuation ending up with a FG of 1.014.

Hooray Beer

No comments:

Post a Comment